Property Law

Property Law

Tenancy Agreements for Landlords and Tenants

Whether you are renting a property or you want to let one of your own, Clough & Willis' specialised team of solicitors are more than happy to assist you in dealing with the legal technicalities.

A Tenancy Agreement is a contract between a Landlord and a Tenant. The main advantage of having a wr document of this type is that it sets out the rights and responsibilities of both the proprietor and the renter in a way that is legally enforceable. This can prevent future disputes because both sides know what their responsibilities are.

We are able to provide specialist legal advice to both Landlords and Tenants,  including:

  • Advising on and drafting tenancy agreements
  • Your requirements as Landlord including deposit protection schemes
  • Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)
  • Tenancy disputes     
  • Possession proceedings   

We are also able to act on your behalf in the purchase of a Buy-to-Let property.

Advising on & Drafting Tenancy Agreements

Our dedicated lawyers will discuss the type and length of tenancy required, as well as any restrictions you would like to place on your Tenant.  We will also ask you to consider the deposit you require, and how you want to protect it.

Once we have gathered all the required information, we will draw up a document that is tailormade to your needs , and we will explain any related legal issues. 

If you are a tenant, we will help you to understand the legal implications of your Tenancy Agreement and any other paperwork involved. The usual agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, which gives a tenant the legal right to reside at a property for either a set period of time (known as a fixed-term tenancy agreement) or it may roll on a week to week or month to month basis (known as a periodic tenancy).

Whatever the agreement, we will ensure that your interests are protected as much as possible.

Deposit Protection Schemes

All landlords and letting agents are required to protect their tenants' deposits by either insuring them or keeping the deposit in a custodial scheme. 

Energy Performance Certificates

All rented properties are required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The EPC and report must be made available free of charge by the Landlord to the Tenant or prospective Tenant.

Tenancy Disputes  

Should a dispute arise between you and your tenant, we can advise you as to your legal rights and obligations and help you to settle the matter.  If necessary, we can negotiate with your tenant, amend the agreement, commence legal proceedings and attend court hearings.

Possession Proceedings      

Should you wish to reclaim possession of your property, we will advise you on the correct amount of notice to serve on your tenant, and draw up the necessary documentation.  Occasionally, tenants fail to leave when their notice expires, and it then becomes necessary to commence court proceedings.  We can guide you through this process from start to finish, and represent you at court hearings.

Buy to Let

If you are intending to buy a property to let to tenants we will be able to guide you through the process.

Need help right away?
Contact Clough & Willis

We can offer easy-to-understand advice on all areas of conveyancing and property law and will work our hardest to get you the best possible outcome - whether that is ensuring a smooth sale or negotiating a contract in your favour. 

Contact us today to speak to a property law solicitor by calling 0800 083 0815, or fill out an online enquiry form and we will get back to you at a convenient time.


Please fill out our form below

or call us on 0800 083 0815

Enquire Now