Property Law

Property Law

ID1 and ID2 forms

What is an ID1 form?

An ID1 form is a Land Registry document used to prove your identity. It is typically needed during a property transaction to protect against identity fraud and other types of fraud.

Why do I need an ID1 Form

Identity fraud in property transactions in on the increase, an ID1 form is a method of preventing this.

The form is used by the Land Registry to verify of the identity of any individuals during one of the following transactions:

  • Transfer of land or mortgage
  • Transfers of Equity
  • Registering, discharging, or release of a mortgage
  • The purchase or sale of a property or parcel of land
  • The transfer, surrender or grant of a lease
  • Compulsory first registration
  • Mortgage registration
  • Discharge of mortgage
  • Discharge of land
  • Change of name
  • Change of address

When is an ID1 Form not required?

Where both parties instruct a solicitor in a conveyancing transaction an ID1 from is not usually required, for example, in straightforward property transaction such as sale and purchase. 

However if one party chooses not to have legal representation they will need to complete and submit an ID1 form.

The value of the land / property being transacted is than £6,000

What is the difference between ID1 and ID2

An ID1 for is for private individuals and an ID2 is for a company. An ID 2 form will ask for more information about the company and will need to provide us with:

  • A company search in respect of the corporation (dated within the last three months) which confirms that the company has not been dissolved; and
  • evidence of the individual's authority to represent the company. 

In some instances, a director of a company will have to fill out both forms.  

What is involved with an ID Forms?

To complete the form you will need some key pieces of information such as:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Current address
  • Period of time at current address
  • Any other addresses in the past 5 years
  • Contact numbers
  • The type of application
  • Title number
  • Property address

If the form is filled out incorrectly your application maybe rejected and therefore the property transaction aborted.

What documents do you need to verify your identity?

There are three main types of documentation that you can use to confirm your identity:

  • Valid UK passport
  • Driving licence
  • Biometric Residence Permit

You will also need two of the following:

  • a bank statement within the last 3 months;
  • a utility bill within the last 3 months
  • a council tax statement for the current year
  • a mortgage statement for the year just ended.

Finally you will need a passport-sized photograph of yourself

Do the ID forms have an expiry date?

The forms are valid for 3 months. If you don’t complete on the property transaction within this timeframe you will have to complete another application.

How much does an ID Form cost?

You can download an ID form for free from the UK government website. However, if you want us to verify your identity we will charge the following fixed fees:

ID1 - £110 +vat (£132)

ID2 - £150 +vat (£180)

Plus, an AML search of £5.83 plus vat

The above fees cover the completion of the ID form and identifying you for the purpose of the Land Registry.  It does not include any advice in relation to the transaction.​​​​​​

Need help right away?
Contact Clough & Willis

We can offer easy-to-understand advice on all areas of conveyancing and property law and will work our hardest to get you the best possible outcome - whether that is ensuring a smooth sale or negotiating a contract in your favour. 

Contact us today to speak to a property law solicitor by calling 0800 083 0815, or fill out an online enquiry form and we will get back to you at a convenient time.


Please fill out our form below

or call us on 0800 083 0815

Enquire Now