Family Law

Family Law

Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors

If your civil partnership has broken down permanently and you believe there is no future for your relationship, working through all the important decisions you need to make can be incredibly daunting. 

The experienced family law specialists at Clough & Willis can help you throughout the process of dissolving your civil partnership to ensure you get the best outcome possible. 

What is a civil partnership?

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 came into force in December 2005. The purpose of the Act is to enable same-sex couples to obtain legal recognition of their relationship by registration.

Same-sex couples acquire many of the legal rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples. 

However, the Act does not purport to create same-sex marriage. Nevertheless, in terms of the conditions dissolving a civil partnership and the legal consequences flowing from it, the Act adopts a model based closely on marriage. 

How to dissolve a civil partnership

A civil partnership may be dissolved by making an application for a Dissolution Order. No application for a Dissolution Order may be made before the end of the period of one year from registration. 

An application for a Dissolution Order may be made by either party on the grounds that the civil partnership has broken down irretrievably. One or more of the following four facts must be established to prove this: 

  • That a civil partner has behaved in such a way that the other cannot reasonably be expected to live with them.
  • The civil partners have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the making of the application and both partners consent to the dissolution.
  • The partners have lived apart for a continuous period of at least five years immediately preceding the making of the application.
  • A civil partner has deserted the other partner for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the making of the application. 

How we can help

Our experienced, knowledgeable and friendly solicitors can advise on a range of issues, including: 

  • Agreeing how to divide assets
  • Dissolution or separation orders
  • Parental responsibility orders
  • Joint residence orders
  • Issues surrounding children, such as contact, child maintenance payments and school fees, etc. 

Is a civil partnership the same as a divorce?

Unlike divorce proceedings, adultery is not included as a separate fact. However, infidelity, which leads to the breakdown, may be regarded as unreasonable behaviour. 

The Act includes provision for financial relief in relation to money, property or pensions, which corresponds with that of married couples who divorce. 

Where there are children involved, the Court is required to consider whether it should exercise any of its powers under the Children Act 1989. This provision is designed to safeguard the welfare of any children and provide for their upbringing. 

Need help right away?
Contact Clough & Willis

At Clough & Willis, we have a great deal of experience in dealing with different types of family matters. Our team of specialist solicitors will provide clear, easy-to-understand advice to guide you through what can be a stressful legal process and will work our hardest to get you the best possible outcome for you

Give our expert family law solicitors a call on 0800 083 0815, or fill in our online enquiry form and a member of the team will be in touch.


Please fill out our form below

or call us on 0800 083 0815

Enquire Now