Personal Injury

Personal Injury

Criminal Assault

It is an unfortunate fact of life that innocent people are sometimes attacked or assaulted and may suffer physical or psychological injuries.

If you have been the victim of a criminal assault and suffered injuries as a result, you may be eligible to make a compensation claim.  At Clough & Willis, our experienced team of specialist solicitors have dealt with many cases across Greater Manchester.  We understand the sensitive nature of these cases, and will be on hand every step of the way throughout the claims process.

To discuss your circumstances with a legal professional, contact the team today by calling 0800 083 0815, or fill out an online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

About your claim

If you have been assaulted or attacked in the UK, there are three different ways you can make a personal injury claim for compensation for your injury.  We have outlined details of these below.

  • The first is to make a personal injury compensation claim against the assailant directly.  However, this may not be the best way forward as even if your claim is successful, your attacker may not have the means to pay the sum awarded.
  • The second may be to make a personal injury claim against your employer. This would only apply if the attack or assault took place whilst you were at work and your employer exposed you to an unnecessary and foreseeable risk, which could have been avoided.
  • The third and most common way to make your personal injury claim is by an application for personal injury compensation to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).  This government body pays injury compensation to victims of assaults that occurred in Great Britain.

The CICA scheme allows financial awards to be made:

  • For both physical and mental injuries due to criminal assault.
  • Compensation awards for past or future lost earnings due to a criminal assault or attack
  • For bereavement as a result of a criminal assault, including, in some cases, personal injury compensation for the lost earnings of the person who has been killed.

The CICA has set out several rules. These include:

  • Injuries must have been caused by a criminal assault that occurred in England , Scotland or Wales ( Northern Ireland claimants are not eligible).
  • Your application must be lodged within two years of your assault, although this is discretionary and often waived.
  • The crime must have been reported to the police and you must be seen to have fully co-operated with them.
  • Criminal assault compensation will only be provided if your injuries are serious and exceed the £1,000 minimum award.
  • You must be able to prove that you have been the innocent victim of a violent crime.
  • If you are seen to have provoked or willingly participated in the incident or have a record of violence, any criminal assault injury compensation claims may be refused or reduced.

Operating on a "No win - No Fee" basis I have the necessary expertise to avoid potential pitfalls and help you recover the compensation to which you are entitled. 

Need help right away?
Contact Clough & Willis

Find out more about making a personal injury compensation claim by getting in touch with Clough & Willis today. Our offices in Bury and Bolton are easily accessible, and we are ready to provide you with the easy-to-understand advice and high-quality representation you need. 

Give our personal injury lawyers a call on 0800 083 0815, or fill in our online enquiry form and a member of the team will be in touch.


Please fill out our form below

or call us on 0800 083 0815

Enquire Now